Craft and Community in 5-Minute Talks
Information on how to reserve a (free) ticket to attend, submit a proposal to speak, help spread the word, volunteer on the night of the event, or sponsor the event!
Another night of great inspiration, cool company, and new stories from makers in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and environs. For the 7th year, Common Cod is sponsoring Ignite Craft Boston, where up to 20 creative souls will share their passion for their crafts with a like-minded, crafty audience.
Around the world, folks have been putting together Ignite events to show what they’re doing. The Ignite motto is “Enlighten us, but make it quick,” so each speaker has 20 photos or other visuals that automatically advance every 15 seconds, totaling 5 minutes. At Ignite Craft Boston, we’ll get to see all sorts of amazing, eye-opening DIY in only 90 minutes. Past talks can be seen on the Cod YouTube channel. Tickets are free, but seating is limited, and traditionally we pack the space, so watch this space to reserve your tickets as soon as they are available.
Come join the Boston area crafting community for the 7th annual Ignite Craft Boston
- Ignite Craft Boston, v. 7
- Friday, January 13, 2017
- MIT, ROOM & BLDG TBA, Cambridge, MA 02139
- Doors open at 6:30PM, and presentations begin at 7:00PM.
- The event is free; however, due to limited space at the venue, you must reserve a spot.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS TBA. The closest T stop is Kendall station on the Red Line (the red pin on the map). Street parking is decent in this neighborhood, but you can also park in the 139 Mass Ave MIT parking lot after 4:30PM.
2017 Speaker Lineup TBA
This event is run by an all-volunteer non-profit. Here are some ways you can help out:
- Submit a presentation proposal by December 9, 2016 — or mention Ignite Craft Boston to folks you know who have interesting crafts to share with an audience of kindred spirits!
- Promote Ignite Craft Boston in your social networks using the hashtag #icraft (e.g., your office, Twitter, Facebook).
- Bring homemade (or storebought; we’ll never tell) items for the Guild bake sale, or volunteer to staff it! Sign up here to bake, buy, and or volunteer to staff the sale.
- Volunteer to help at Ignite Craft Boston on January 13, 2017 (email email@example.com).
- Attend Ignite, and bring friends! Free tickets here.
- Donate to the Guild.
Submit a presentation
If you would like to speak, please submit a proposal here by December 9, 2016 (visuals not due till December 23, 2016). We will post descriptions of accepted presentations on this page as they are accepted. Here’s a tip sheet for preparing and submitting your talk and visuals.
All talks will be videotaped and posted on the Common Cod YouTube channel after the event. Feel free to watch some Ignite Craft Boston Video from previous years to get an idea about what these talks look like!
Here are some ideas for possible topics: knitting, crochet, LYSOs, weaving, spinning, sewing, quilting, felting/fulling, dyeing, painting, sculpture, print making, fine art, photography, book binding, paper arts, textiles, craft food/beer/cheese, ceramics, soap making, shepherding, farming, gardening, podcasting, blogging, other social media, designing, publishing, woodworking, 3D printing, jewelry, etc.
With your help, we can throw bigger and better events and bring more famous speakers and instructors. Remember, the CCFG is a 501(c)3 organization and your contribution is fully tax-deductible. We welcome donations of any amount.