tickets | hotel rooms | food | when & where | learn or teach | free stuff/swag | vend | childcare
FiberCamp Boston 2016 (March 11-13) is our annual urban retreat for fabric and fiber craft enthusiasts, with an emphasis on skill building, skill sharing, and community. FiberCamp kicks off with a Friday night speaker and continues with a weekend of informal mini-classes on smaller, bite-sized ideas and techniques ranging from Fair Isle knitting to quilting to TinkerToy swifts and beyond.
In past years, special features have included fashion shows, dyeing workshops, swag handouts, joint art projects, raffle-paloozas, special classes by fiber superstars, and more!
For those who are still curious, there’s a FiberCamp FAQ here.
Register for FiberCamp!
Quick link to registration. Early bird registration starts at Ignite! Craft Boston (the 2nd Friday of January). Day and weekend passes are available; for non-members, a weekend pass includes guild membership for the remainder of season (through end of August). Common Cod members receive substantial discounts on all FiberCamp tickets. Register here; prices are as follows:
- Through January 31st: Early Bird Weekend Pass $30 ($20 members)
- February 1st-March 11th: Day Pass $20 ($12.50 members), Weekend Pass $40 ($25 members)
- March 12th-13th: Day Pass $22.50 ($15 members), Weekend Pass $45 ($30 members)
A limited number of scholarships are available. There are also a few staff positions available for people who are interested in a work exchange. To inquire about these opportunities please email email@example.com
Stay In Cambridge
We have a special room block reserved at the Residence Inn Marriott in Cambridge (120 Broadway in Cambridge) for FiberCamp, Fri Mar 11-Sun Mar 13th. The hotel includes free full hot buffet breakfast, free wifi, and an indoor pool and gym. We can park for FREE overnight at the Fiber Camp venue, just a few blocks away. You can reserve online or contact Common Cod member Betsy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 617-588-4224 to reserve, or call 800-331-3131 and mention the “FiberCamp Room Block.” The details:
- $189 per night (plus tax) for a 1 bedroom that has a separate living room with pull-out sofa bed. Sleeps 3.
- $229 per night (plus tax) for suite with 2 queen sized beds plus a kitchen. Sleeps 5.
Friday Night Kickoff
Friday, March 11, 2016, 7PM, Carina Donoso of The Third Piece will speak on “Connecting Creativity”
MIT Stata Center (Building 32), Room 141, 32 Vassar Street
Meet the founders of The Third Piece and learn about their exciting business models – “made by us or made by you”. The Third Piece‘s ready-to-wear collection is locally handknit by artisans around the New England area. The collection is available at renowned retailers such as Bergdorf Goodman and over 25 specialty clothing boutique stores around the US and Canada. Their fiber “Funky Chunky” is the softest merino wool and sold at over 40 yarn stores across the US.
Doors open at 6:30 and the talk begins at 7PM on Friday, March 14th in MIT’s Stata Center (Building 32), 32 Vassar Street, Room 141, Cambridge, MA. As with other bimonthly Friday night talks, this talk is free for Guild members and $6 for guests.
Saturday Fashion Show
We will be having a *community* fashion show, theme TBD. If you would like to participate, please bring ONE item, and be armed with the details – pictures and notes will be taken, so remember what pattern and yarn you used! The show will be held in the FiberCamp building, MIT’s Tang Center, Building E-51, Room 395, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA.
FiberCamp Schedule and Location
FiberCamp check-in is from 9:30-10:00 on Saturday, March 12th, followed by a welcome and a planning session. Class sessions run from 10:35 to 4:25 on Saturday, followed by the Community Fashion Show at 5PM (see above). The party will continue in the Marriott Residence Inn Lobby, 120 Broadway in Cambridge, walkable from FiberCamp. On Sunday, March 13th, (NOTE DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME CHANGE) check-in is from 10:00-10:30, with class sessions again taking place from 10:35-4:25, followed by casual hangout time and feedback. The action takes place in MIT’s Tang Center, Building E-51, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA (Link to Directions / FiberCamp 2015 Area, Parking, T Map ). Check-in is in the 3rd Floor Lounge (FiberCamp Classroom Map). Here is what’s going on where:
- 3rd Floor Lounge Area: Registration/information, class scheduling wall, vendors, crafting lounge
- 3rd Floor Classrooms: Rooms 361, 376, 385, 390, 393
- 3rd Floor Room 372: swap table, coatracks
- 3rd Floor Room 395: pick-a-prize raffle items, fashion show (both on Saturday at 5PM)
- Basement Room 095: child care, kitchen, quiet lunch spot between 1-2PM
Request or Offer Classes
Want to see a demonstration about how to start quilting? Ask for it on the “What I want to LEARN” tab. Want to share your tips and techniques for recycling yarn from a sweater you picked up at a thrift store? Post it on the “What I want to TEACH” tab.
Food is on your own; however, you can order delivery to the venue. There are also quick choices like Au Bon Pain, Chipotle, Cosi, etc. a block or two away. Check out the blog post Food, Glorious Food. Room 095 has a refrigerator, microwave, stove, plates, cups, etc. if you want to bring/make your own food.
Destash and/or Restash at the Swap Table
There will be a swap table in 3rd Floor Room 372. Bring yarn, fiber, fabric, tools, books, patterns, etc. that you don’t want, and/or take stuff that you do want! Leftovers will be donated.
The first 100 registrants receive a free swag bag!
We are loading up swag bags with goodies for the first 100 registrants! Register now to ensure you get magazines, coupons, fiber goodies and more. Current list of swag (check back as the list will grow!):
Cascade Yarns (full skein of Ultra Pima Fine)
Classic Elite Yarns (mini-skein)
Common Cod Fiber Guild (project bag, spindle)
Fabric Place Basement (sewing kit)
Fiber Art Now Magazine (magazine)
Hub Mills Yarn Store (20% off entire purchase coupon)
New England Knitting local pattern designer (pattern coupon)
RH Linsday Wool (fiber)
A Riot of Color local dyer (fiber)
Knit North Yarn Crawl (passports)
Buy or Sell Stuff in the Vendor Drop-In Area
We invite any workshop leader to sell their fiber- and fabric-related wares in a loose, informal way that fits the vibe of FiberCamp. The vendor drop-in area will be in the 3rd floor lounge area where check-in, registration, and community crafting are happening. For vendors:
- Buy a FiberCamp ticket — a one-day pass, weekend pass, whatever works for you.
- Lead at least one session on the day(s) you want to attend.
- “Advertise” by adding your name, a description of what you’ll bring, and when you’ll be in the vendor drop-in area to the FiberCamp GoogleDoc.
- Bring your awesome stuff! Select your best; it’s good to be mobile without having to make multiple trips, and we can’t guarantee you’ll have a whole table to yourself. You may want to take a look at suggested class materials to see what attendees might forget to bring but need for classes.
- Set up in the 3rd floor lounge vendor drop-in area at whatever time and for however long you’d like. The largest crowds will be wandering about during check-in (9:30-10:30), lunch (1:00-2:00), and after classes end (4:25-6:30 pm), but there are always people hanging out in that area.
- Sell your stuff! You’ll be responsible for bringing change, credit card processing equipment, etc.
Once again, we are offering childcare! We ask for a minimal commitment of $10 per family, regardless of how long your child(ren) stay(s) in childcare. We will be using a licensed babysitting service. You can email email@example.com if you have specific questions and to RSVP for your spot in childcare. If you want childcare, you MUST reserve your spot by the end of the day on Saturday, March 4th, 2016.