FiberCamp Boston 2015 (March 13-15) is our annual in-town retreat for fabric and fiber craft enthusiasts, with an emphasis on skill building, skill sharing, and community. FiberCamp kicks off with a Friday night speaker and continues with a weekend of informal mini-classes on smaller, bite-sized ideas and techniques ranging from Fair Isle knitting to quilting to TinkerToy swifts and beyond.
In past years, special features have included fashion shows, dyeing workshops, swag handouts, joint art projects, raffle-paloozas, special classes by fiber superstars, and more!
For those who are still curious, there’s a FiberCamp FAQ here, and information about last year’s FiberCamp is below.
NEW for 2015! We have a special room block reserved at the Residence Inn Marriott in Cambridge for FiberCamp, Fri Mar 13-Sun Mar 15th. Think about putting a hotel room for FiberCamp on your holiday wish list! The hotel includes free full hot buffet breakfast, free wifi, and an indoor pool and gym. We can park for FREE overnight at the Fiber Camp venue. You can reserve online or contact Common Cod member Betsy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 617-588-4224 to reserve, or call 800-331-3131 and mention the “FiberCamp Room Block”. The details:
- $203 per night (plus tax) for a 1 bedroom that has a separate living room with pull-out sofa bed.
- $253 per night (plus tax) for suite with 2 queen sized beds plus a kitchen.
Last Year’s FiberCamp
Friday Night Kickoff 2014
The Friday night kickoff to the weekend begins with a talk by delightful designer and teacher Julia Farwell-Clay on Cowichan Knitting. Julia will discuss the techniques and traditions of the Native Coast Salish knitters of British Columbia, which inspired her beautiful Takoma sweater published in Knitty #37. Doors open at 6:30 and Julia’s talk begins at 7PM on Friday, March 14th in MIT’s Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Room 141, Cambridge, MA. As always, bimonthly Friday night talks are free for Guild members and $5 for guests.
Saturday Fashion Show 2014
We are very excited about the Fashion Show featuring designs and Q&A from Julia Farwell-Clay, Misa Erder, Thea Colman, Bristol Ivy, Amy Christoffers, Ellen Mason, and Alison Green. Each will present 2 or 3 of her classic designs and premiere one brand-new design at the show! The show will begin at 4PM on Saturday, March 15th, after the day’s FiberCamp classes end. The show will be held in the FiberCamp building, MIT’s Tang Center, Building E-51, Room 395, 70 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA.
FiberCamp 2014 Schedule and Location
FiberCamp conference check-in is from 8:30-9:00 on Saturday, March 15th, followed by a welcome and a planning session. Class sessions run from 9:35 to 3:25 on Saturday, followed by the Designer Fashion Show at 4PM. On Sunday, March 16th, check-in is from 9:00-9:30, with class sessions again taking place from 9:35-3:25, followed by casual hangout time. The action takes place in MIT’s Tang Center, Building E-51, 70 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA (directions / download map of area, parking, T stop, etc. ). Check-in is in the 3rd Floor Lounge (download map of classrooms, etc.). Here is what’s going on where:
- 3rd Floor Lounge: Registration, information, class scheduling board
- 3rd Floor Rooms 385, 390, 393: full-length (65-minute) classes
- 2nd Floor Rooms 275, 285: mini (30-minute) classes
- 3rd Floor Room 395: fashion show
- Basement Room 095: swap table, lunch (adjoining kitchen has fridge, microwave, etc.)
Request or Offer Classes
Want to see a demonstration about how to start quilting? Ask for it on the session requests page. Want to share your tips and techniques for recycling yarn from a sweater you picked up at a thrift store? Post it on the sessions page (updated frequently by the community). Spread the word by sharing this flyer about FiberCamp.
Destash and/or Restash at the Swap Table
There will be a swap table in Basement Room 095. Bring yarn, tools, books, patterns, etc. that you don’t want and/or take stuff that you do want! Leftovers will be donated.
Buy or Sell Stuff in the Vendor Drop-In Area
We invite any attendee to sell their fiber- and fabric-related wares in a loose, informal way that fits the vibe of FiberCamp. The vendor drop-in area will be in the 3rd floor lounge area where check-in, registration, and community crafting are happening. For vendors:
- Buy a FiberCamp ticket — a one-day pass, weekend pass, whatever works for you.
- “Advertise” by adding your name, a description of what you’ll bring, and when you’ll be in the vendor drop-in area to the FiberCamp GoogleDoc.
- Bring your awesome stuff! Select your best; it’s good to be mobile without having to make multiple trips, and we can’t guarantee you’ll have a whole table to yourself. You may want to take a look at suggested class materials to see what attendees might forget to bring but need for classes.
- Set up in the 3rd floor lounge vendor drop-in area at whatever time and for however long you’d like. The largest crowds will be wandering about during check-in (8:30-9:30), lunch (12:00-1:00), and after classes end (3:25-?), but if you find yourself with an open time slot during class time, we can guarantee you won’t be the only one!
- Sell your stuff! You’ll be responsible for bringing change, credit card processing equipment, etc.
Once again, we are offering childcare! We ask for a minimal commitment of $10 per family, regardless of how long your child(ren) stay(s) in childcare. We will be using a licensed babysitting service. You can email email@example.com if you have specific questions. You can RSVP for childcare here. If you want childcare, you MUST reserve your spot by the end of the day on Saturday, March 8th, 2014.
To Register for FiberCamp 2014
Early bird registration begins on Saturday, January 11th! Day and weekend passes are available; for non-members, a weekend pass includes guild membership for the remainder of the 2013-2014 season. Common Cod members receive substantial discounts on all FiberCamp tickets. Register here; prices are as follows:
- January 11th-31st: Early Bird Weekend Pass $30 ($20 members)
- February 1st-March 14th: Day Pass $20 ($12.50 members), Weekend Pass $40 ($25 members)
- March 15th-16th: Day Pass $22.50 ($15 members), Weekend Pass $45 ($30 members)
- Note that you’re also welcome to buy a Day or a Weekend Pass on the day of the event!
A limited number of scholarships are available. There are also a few staff positions available for people who are interested in a work exchange. To inquire about these opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org